Monday 8 December 2008

December 8th – Lemon, Poppyseed and Yoghurt Cake!

Mmmmm! = one word to describe this cake! Others would be light and fresh and well quite summery really, although we are in deepest darkest winter here. It was a is quite a dense cake – one of those ones which is mainly a cake but oh so nearly a tea bread too! Like, in the picture in the book (it is a Tamsin Day-Lewis recipe) it shows a slice spread with Greek yoghurt!

lemon cakee 025

I made just one change to this recipe – instead of using two lemons, I used one and one lime, to give it an extra tang. I also had no problems with this cake! I just had too wait a while half way through making it as I couldn’t open the poppy seeds, but as soon as my sister came home they were opened and we were off again. When I took it out the oven it had a few cracks on top, but when I came back half an hour later (after letting it cool) these cracks had all closed up! It stll wasn’t quite as flat and perfect as the book – my Daddy and I call it “rustic” :) But, all in all it is a welcomed tea cake which is perking up our table through all the bad weather at the moment.

lemon cakee 019

Short and sweet post I’m afraid :D xx

4 comments:

Marie Rayner said...

So much yumminess to catch up on here this morning Lucy!!! You sure have been a busy baker!! I think I like the mincemeat goodies are my favourites!!!

Steph said...

Every attempt at yogurt cake has failed for me :(. I'm glad yours turned out!!

Anonymous said...

Mm, looks so moist and tasty!

Susan @ SGCC said...

Lucy- You won the prize fair and square. Email me your mailing address and I'll figure out a way to get the package to you. :)