Thursday 18 February 2010

Cheese Straws

I love baking and spending time in the kitchen, but like so many people – I don’t spend as much time there as I would like. I enjoy baking not just for my family, but also to keep the blog up-to-date and interesting. Whilst this would be much easier (and possibly more relaxing) if I could spend all day, every day with my oven: this unsurprisingly isn’t an option. When I know I have the spare time, I like to make more complicated in-depth bakes whilst I have the chance. More often than not, however, bakes need to be relatively quick and easy. And whilst I’m prepared to sacrifice the time I spend in the kitchen I am definitely not prepared to sacrifice the tastiness of the end result. So, quick and easy, but very delicious – pretty much sums these Cheese Straws up! Perfect.

DSCF6348I warn you, these straws are dangerously moreish. Just one is never going to be enough. Plus they’re versatile – just as nice warm from the oven, as cold a few hours later, as reheated later to be served very hot with soup. Each “straw” is crisp and crunchy yet melt in the mouth, and full of delicious cheesy goodness. And to make them? About 10minutes hands on time, max. What could be better?

DSCF6356I used a Delia Smith recipe that is, annoyingly, not online. However this recipe is almost identical: just after you have your cheese dough, brush with an egg or milk and sprinkle over grated parmesan (doing this before cutting into strips makes the job easier).  These are perfect for parties because they are so simple – when we had them out at our New Kitchenwarming (Yes. A Kitchen-warming.) they disappeared super quickly! Enjoy :)

DSCF6353

12 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

OMG, they look so good! I've always been addicted to this English speciality. Yours look magnificent!

Cheers,

Rosa

Bob said...

Those. Look. Awesome. I need to make them, that's all there is to it.

La Table De Nana said...

You are so charming..the way you write.. the way you bake..
I love your honesty..And really I think you will be Delia later..just more successful:) I say that respectfully.

Dinners and Dreams said...

They look super light, crispy and delicious.

Nisrine

Chava Leiba said...

You are seriously amazing!!!!!! I am a teen too who loves to bake and cook but I dont think as much as you!!! and everything you make comes out GORGY and how do you come up with all these recipes????
I would love some tips!!!! Also your photos are so nice!!! when I try to take pics of stuff they never come out as nice

Dewi said...

Yummy!!!!!
This is truly a lovely treats Lucy.

Anonymous said...

WOW! they look soooo nice! Can't wait to make them myself...

Anonymous said...

they look adorable!

Ash said...

kinda been wanting to make cheese straws for awhile now.. after this, I really think I should. Like maybe now.

Faith said...

Your cheese straws look incredible! I could literally eat them any time of day...I think I need to make them soon! :)

A Canadian Foodie said...

I cannot wait to show my students your fantastic writing and cooking! I was disappointed your recipe was not somewhere out there - but appreciate your link and tips. I have NEVER seen cheese straws so delectable. I am making them TODAY!
XO
Valerie
(PS - taught English literature for 28 years and am into my second year of teaching Foods! Such fun!

Anonymous said...

oooh I love cheese straws! These are the prettiest cheese straws I have ever seen! yum!