Monday 13 August 2012

Rhubarb and Custard Tart

In American cooking, rhubarb and strawberries seem to be a majorly popular flavour combination. Here in England, its rhubarb and custard. Sharp bright pink rhubarb and creamy yellow custard – it’s definitely a strong rival to rhubarb and strawberry. Whether in two bold stripes in a hard boiled sweet, hot custard poured over a rhubarb crumble or both flavours combined together in a huge luxurious tart like today, it’s always a winner.IMG-20120722-00626I’ve been wanting to make  a rhubarb and custard tart for a while now and had several different recipes saved in my ever expanding Sweet To Make file. I was reminded of this idea when I came across an amazing looking Custard Tart in the fabulous book Street Food Revolution but decided to save that for a special occasion due to the 12 (!) egg yolks it requires. I eventually chose a John Torode recipe, because surely the co-juduge of Masterchef will have trustworthy recipes (and also something in me always trusts BBC Food recipes). It also was not extravagant with eggs, seemed simple and intrigued me as to how the 300ml of double cream would ever set into a firm filling.DSCF9095But I needn’t have worried, it all turned out ok. More than ok! This tart was so good. I seem to be loving the mix of tart and creamy flavours at the moment, first the pannacotta, then this combination of the rich custard and vanilla poached rhubarb that still has a hint of its sharpness. I know it’s a bit past the rhubarb season now as I made this a few weeks ago, but I didn’t want to let a whole year go by without posting this. You never know, some lucky people might still have some growing or have been clever and frozen some for the winter. If not, I’m sure the combination of raspberries or blackberries with custard would be just as delicious. Enjoy!DSCF9099

9 comments:

Dewi said...

Yum! I love custard filling combine with rhubarb.

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

One of my favorite tarts! Yummy.

Cheers,

Rosa

Xinmei @ Pudding Pie Lane said...

I agree - I always trust BBC Food recipes, especially BBC GoodFood - that's where I go to first if I need a recipe for something! Rhubarb and custard is such a lovely combination, I wish I'd frozen some whilst they were still in season!

La Table De Nana said...

My husband would love this Lucy:) How pretty too!

Jo said...

Looks delicious! As much as I love strawberries, it has to be custard with rhubarb for me! I don't know where I'd be without BBC Good Food either, I'm forever bookmarking recipes there.

Faith said...

This is a beautiful tart, Lucy! I would love a slice of this with a hot cup of tea right now. :)

Alfie said...

Absolutely on board with the BBC Good Food fan club - their recipes never seem to fail!! I love rhubarb, it makes for a perfect late-summer pudding.

The Caked Crusader said...

You had me at rhubarb - love the stuff. Your tart is perfection.

mzrichee said...

Hmmm... I've never tried rhubarb in a tart or like this before. I love custard, so maybe I might like it?! Will have to try this recipe out sometime.