Thursday 7 February 2013

Orange Lightning Cake

There seems to be a permanent trend and desire for super fast cooking. Jamie Oliver went from his 30 minute meals to just 15 minutes and magazines sell editions by emphasizing the fast and simple nature of recipes that are perfect for after work. Often, however, these recipes are hardly recipes at all, using pre cooked, chopped and garnished ingredients to get something tasty on the table fast. This cake is the best of both worlds: fits the speedy bill – hence it’s name – yet you end up with something delicious and all natural.DSCF9234I’ve seen lots of recipes for all-in-one whole orange cakes that involve boiling oranges for hours until soft and then whizzing to a smooth cake mixture. Today’s unusual cake goes one step further – simply quartering a whole, raw, unpeeled orange, taking out any pips and whizzing until smooth in a food processor followed by the rest of the ingredients. It feels quite strange, and a little bit wrong, but it works out so well! Whizzing up the fresh orange means the mixture and cooking cake smell amazing and the final cake has a great sunshiney orange colour.DSCF9263The little chunks of orange peel add a nice texture to the cake – just like candied peel but without all the added sugar! All in all I was a real fan of this cake – it’s one of those that you just keep cutting tiny slivers of until you realise rather a large proportion of the cake has now gone… You can find the recipe here (I left out the walnuts, keeping the delightfully soft and squidgy texture of the cake) – enjoy!

9 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

It looks wonderful and ever so moist! A gorgeous cake.

cheers,

Rosa

La Table De Nana said...

It sounds so good I am printing it up..the link takes me to two versions:) did you do the first Lucy?
I just made something last week w/ Orange and LOVED..I'm always into lemons..but the orange was nice!

The Life of Clare said...

I'm so intrigued by this cake! It looks delicious, but the idea of wiz zing up a whole orange is so strange to me!

The Caked Crusader said...

Looks great and - by strange coincidence - I made a boiled orange cake this week! It was lovely

Laura Loves Cakes said...

I think you've hit the nail on the head there about super quick meals! I'm glad that your cake is both speedy and wholesome and lovely it looks too! :-)

Zoe said...

I like everything that is fast and delicious. This recipe sounds good to me :D

Cupcake Crazy Gem said...

This looks like a great cake to keep you warm on a cold day!

Laura said...

I made this last week and it was easy to make and delicious to eat, thanks for the recipe! :)

(It got the tick of approval from my mum and sister too!)

Laura Dembowski said...

I have been seeing these recipes that call for all the boiling too. It's great too see that it can be successfully done without all that work. Sounds and looks fab!