Wednesday 7 May 2014

Rhubarb and Stem Ginger Pie

I never make pies. In total I’ve only made 6 pies on here in nearly 6 years of blogging – terrible odds considering I normally love anything involving pastry. The last full size pie I made on here was way back in 2011 – the classic apple pie. I’m not sure why I’ve been avoiding them but it was clearly time to change. This may be cheating a little, as it is only a single crust, but it was so delicious I don’t think anyone was complaining. DSC_0128Rhubarb is one of my favourite fruits, and rhubarb and ginger are a classic combination so I knew this would be good. Opinions were divided in my house over the stem ginger in the pastry. I liked the spice it added to the pie, but the texture was maybe a bit strange, so to compromise you could easily just stick with ground ginger to provide a bit of heat. With a splash of crème anglaise (always practicing for school) I was sold and the pie did not last very long in my house. It was also easily adaptable – I had slightly less rhubarb and so made a smaller pie and used the spare pastry to make little ginger biscuits to keep us going while the pie baked. You can find the recipe here – enjoy! DSC_0134

5 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

A fabulous pie! Really droolworthy.

Cheers,

Rosa

Anonymous said...

Your pie is gorgeous - lovely flavors - the pastry looks SO good!
Mary

La Table De Nana said...

I just happen to have stem ginger:)
Thank you Lucy!
Love the stars:)

Dewi said...

Why didn't I think of this superb idea? Serving pie with creme anglais. Double delight!

Karen @ Lemon Grove Cake Diaries said...

You should definitely make more pies, rhubarb and stem ginger sounds delicious!